Jiwei Ci 慈继伟
Professor, Department of Philosophy
School of Humanities, Faculty of Arts
University of Hong Kong
Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong
Email : email@example.com
Research and teaching interests
Social philosophy, political philosophy, ethics; modern and contemporary China viewed from the perspectives of social and political philosophy and ethics.
- Moral China in the Age of Reform, New York: Cambridge University Press, 2014.
- The Two Faces of Justice, Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2006.
- 《正义的两面》，北京: 三联书店，2001第一版，2014修订版。
- Dialectic of the Chinese Revolution: From Utopianism to Hedonism, Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 1994.
- “Liberty Rights and the Limits of Liberal Democracy,” in Rowan Cruft, Matthew Liao, and Massimo Renzo, eds., Philosophical Foundations of Human Rights, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2015.
- “Do Liberal Egalitarians Really Believe in Equality Given Their Commitment to Equality of Opportunity?” in Uwe Steinhoff, ed., Do All Persons Have Equal Moral Worth? Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2015.
- “Agency and Other Stakes of Poverty,” Journal of Political Philosophy, vol. 21, no. 2, 2013.
- “Chapter Thirty-eight of the Daodejing as an Imaginary Genealogy of Morals,” in Chris Fraser, Dan Robins, and Timothy O’Leary, eds., Ethics in Early China, Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press, 2011.
- “Evaluating Agency: A Fundamental Question for Social and Political Philosophy,” Metaphilosophy, vol. 42, no. 3, 2011.
- “Redeeming Freedom,” in Stan van Hooft and Wim Vandekerckhove, eds., Questioning Cosmopolitanism, Dordrecht: Springer, 2010.
- “What Is in the Cloud? —A Critical Engagement with Thomas Metzger on ‘the Clash between Chinese and Western Political Theories,’” boundary 2, vol. 34, no. 3, 2007.
- “Political Agency in Liberal Democracy,” Journal of Political Philosophy, vol. 14, no. 2, 2006.
- “Taking the Reasons for Human Rights Seriously,” Political Theory, vol. 33, no. 2, 2005.
- “Justice, Freedom, and the Moral Bounds of Capitalism,” Social Theory and Practice, vol. 25, no. 3, 1999.
- “Disenchantment, Desublimation, and Demoralization: Some Cultural Conjunctions of Capitalism,” New Literary History, vol. 30, no. 2, 1999.
- “Freedom and Realms of Living,” Philosophy East and West, vol. 41, no. 3, 1991.