Postgraduate studies - general information
- The philosophy department has very few studentships available, and we usually do not accept students without a strong philosophy background.
- If you have not studied philosophy before, it might be better for you to do an MA in philosophy first to get a more solid foundation. However, we have no MA programme in philosophy.
- You can find more information about postgraduate studies in philosophy at https://www.philosophicalgourmet.com/
- You are unlikely to be accepted if you received a lower second class degree.
- It is extremely rare for an undergraduate student to be accepted directly into the PhD programme. You usually need to complete an MPhil first.
- I mainly supervise MPhil and PhD students in the philosophy of mind and language.
- You should think carefully if you want to do a PhD degree at HKU, since the degree mainly based on the thesis. Graduate programs in many other countries require more coursework and provide a more comprehensive training.
- Potential students should email me with their CV, transcript and research proposal before applying.