Knowledge Exchange activities
- Dr Cook, 'Perpetrators damaged U.S. interests, not the Intelligence Committee', Letter to the Editor, Financial Times,10 December 2014.
- Research Postgraduate Kathleen HO Ka Yan is featured in the Autumn issue of the Arts Faculty Newsletter for the cross-disciplinary Student KE project, 'Take Action! Youth Biodiversity Conservation Leadership Training Scheme', http://arts.hku.hk/autumn2014.pdf, p. 13.
- Dr Cook featured in 'Religious leaders bring faith to bear on saving earth in climate change forum today', South China Morning Post, 3 November 2014.
- Philosophy Student KE Project Grant Scheme 2013/14: Introducing Critical Thinking and Basic Logic to Secondary School Students. (Supervised by Dr. Lau)
- Professor O'Leary in the HKU Bulletin - http://www4.hku.hk/pubunit/bulletin/cover_story/cs_story5.html
- Dr Cook, 'US borrowed from socialist reform programme', Letter to the Editor, Financial Times, 5-6 April 2014.
- Dr Lau and Dr Wolff gave lectures at the AIESEC Youth to Sustainability Summit.
- Research Postgraduate Kathleen HO Ka Yan is featured in the December issue of the Graduate School Newsletter for her work in environmental education, http://www.gradsch.hku.hk/gradsch/web/resources/newsletters/pdfs/dec13.pdf
- Research Postgraduates Kathleen HO Ka Yan, MA Kwan Ki and LI Pui Sze awarded a Student KE grant for 'Take Action! Youth Biodiversity Conservation Leadership Training Scheme' in partnership with the Conservancy Association. Faculty mentor is Dr A. Cook.
- Research Postgraduate Kathleen HO Ka Yan gave twelve presentations in Chinese at local secondary schools on 'Consumption and the Environment', October 2012 - April 2013.
- Dr Lau was invited to give the opening address during "Critical Thinking Week" at the New York Institute of Technology, Nanjing Campus.
- Dr Cook gave a talk on Jean-Jacques Rousseau at the Alliance française of Hong Kong in commemoration of the 2012 Rousseau tercentenary, 8 November 2012.
- Dr Lau's Mini Guide to Critical Thinking has been translated into Farsi (Persian). Copies will be distributed to teachers in Iran.
- Dr Cook is the curator of 'Je raffole de botanique', a bilingual exhibit at the Conservatory and Botanical Gardens in Geneva, Switzerland's 2012 Rousseau celebrations. The exhibition was extended from 14 January until 28 June 2013 at the Collège Rousseau, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Dr Cook is interviewed by World Radio Switzerland, Dig It! Jean-Jacques Rousseau's love of botany (minutes 5.20 – 6.30 and 6.54-11.02) on June 6, 2012
- Dr Cook gave four guided tours in French of the exhibit “Je raffole de botanique, Rousseau” in the Conservatory and Botanical Gardens of Geneva, Switzerland, on 25-28 May, 2012
- Dr Cook is interviewed by Swiss TV channel Léman bleu, Genève Aujourd’hui, culture (minutes 9.30-17.04) on 30 May 2012
- Dr Barbara Pezze talks about the philosophy of pain and suffering in the HKU Bulletin magazine: http://philosophy.hku.hk/media/bulletin-201205.pdf
- Dr Cook, 'It's a trap to see HK's economy as free', Letter to the Editor, Financial Times, 25 April 2012.
- Dr O'Leary discussed Philosophy & Psychotherapy with Dr Graham Kavanagh on the RTHK radio program "The Big Idea" on Mar 31, 2012.
- Dr Cook discussed the background to Darwin's theory of evolution with Prof. David Dudgeon of the HKU School of Biological Sciences on the RTHK radio programme, "The Big Idea," aired 25 February and 3 March 2012.
- Dr Fraser and Professor Hansen are scheduled to discuss Daoism on the RTHK radio program "The Big Idea" in early 2012.
- Dr Cook is featured in a special issue of the Swiss news magazine _Hebdo_ commemorating the tercentenary of Jean-Jacques Rousseau in 2012: 'Du Japon au Brésil: à la rencontre de spécialistes du monde entière.’
2011 and earlier
- Dr O'Leary and Dr Fraser spoke on "Happiness" on the RTHK radio program "The Big Idea" on November 26, 2011.
- Dr Lau was invited to give the keynote address at the annual Indonesian IB Schools Teacher's Conference in Jakarta (19 Nov, 2011). His talk was on "meta-cognitive education" and the theme of the conference was "Critical Thinking across the IB Continuum".
- Dr. David McCarthy collaborated with award-winning choreographer Janis Claxton to develop new strategies of dance-making based on mathematical concepts including fractals and the Game of Life. The project explores themes related to simplicity and complexity, chaos and contingency, and patterns and possibilities in the choreographic process.
- Dr. Joe Lau received the 2011 Arts Faculty Knowledge Exchange Award for his critical thinking web site http://philosophy.hku.hk/think. He also published a textbook on critical thinking in April.
- The dept offered a summer course on critical thinking for secondary school students.
- Dr O'Leary spoke about "Happiness" to a group of high school students from all over Asia, at the HKU Taster Days, June 2011.
- A food festival and exhibition took place outside the Main Library on Apr 20, 2011.
- 2010 - Dr. Chris Fraser and Professor Chad Hansen were interviewed in a documentary about daoism: http://bit.ly/acCQBD
- 2009, 2010 - Summer course on critical thinking for secondary school students.